Although it is not very serious problem but sometimes in rare cases, acute hepatitis E can be severe that results in fulminant hepatitis (acute liver failure). Patients suffering from hepatitis can die in this case .
Hepatitis E symptoms
Here we are going to discuss about the symptoms of hepatitis E so that we can get the treatment as soon as we some to know about this infection . Sometime we ignore normal symptoms such as mild fever and vomiting , but this should not be done .We should have a proper check up when we our body show these type of symptoms listed below .Here is the list of symptoms and signs shown by the infected person .
- Initial phase include mild fever and reduced appetite (anorexia)
- Sometime patient experience abdominal pain
- Pain in joints
- jaundice ( disease in which yellow discolouration of the skin and sclera of the eyes take place),
- Dark urine
- Pale stools
Hepatitis E should be cured as early as possible . This is dangerous for pregnant women . Pregnant women with hepatitis E, particularly those in the second or third trimester, are at an high risk of liver failure, mortality or fetal loss . So if someone is having symptoms of Hepatitis E , immediately go to doctor and take the prescribed medicine .If not properly handles it can lead to acute problems .
Hepatitis E Cure and Diagnoses
Hepatitis E should be properly treated but there is a problem regarding the diagnosis of HEV as the cases of hepatitis E are not clinically distinguishable from other types of acute viral hepatitis. Diagnosis can often be strongly suspected in appropriate epidemiologic settings however, for example in the occurrence of several cases in localities in known disease-endemic areas, in settings with risk of water contamination . Definitive diagnosis of HEV infection is based on the detection of specific IgM antibodies to the virus in a victim’s blood .
Additional tests to detect the virus include reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) to detect hepatitis E virus RNA in blood/ stool .
Talking about the treatment , there is no specific treatment capable of altering the course of acute hepatitis E. It is self-limiting and generally hospitalization is generally not needed. But in case of fulminant hepatitis , patients are hospitalized for proper treatment .
- Immunosuppressed people with chronic hepatitis E benefit from specific treatment using ribavirin ( It is an antiviral drug )
- In some cases ,interferon can also be used .
- A report showed significant improvement of liver enzymes and functions in a patient with severe acute hepatitis E who was treated with ribavirin for 21 days.
- Treatment with pegylated interferon alfa for 3-12 months led to sustained clearance of HEV RNA in patients with chronic hepatitis E who underwent liver transplantation .But care should be taken in this case as interferon therapy can cause adverse effects and organ rejection in transplant recipients, especially to those who have undergone transplantation such as heart /kidney transplantation.
- Sofosbuvir is a nucleotide analogue and inhibits RNA replication of HEV genotype 3 in vitro. It also has has an additive antiviral effect when it is combined with ribavirin.
Prevention is better than cure so we should make possible effort to prevent this infection by following simple steps such as preventing contamination of water , relying on clean drinking water, good sanitation conditions , avoid eating uncooked shellfish.
For more information and updates related to medical issues , causes , symptoms and treatment of particular disease / infection , stay connected with us .